Both teachings took the Hebrew meanings of the 10 Generations mentioned in Genesis 5 from Adam to Noah. When they put the meanings together, it formed an incredible message. I hope you enjoy this...I know I did!
Here is the list of names listed in Genesis 5: Adam, Seth, Enos (Enosh), Cainain (Kenan), Mahalalel, Jared, Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech, Noah.
II Timothy 3:16 says that Every Scripture is God-breathed (given by His inspiration) and profitable for instruction, for reproof and conviction of sin, for correction of error and disciple in obedience, [and] for training in righteousness (in holy living, in conformity to God's will in though, purpose and action). There is NO mistake in the message that is found here in Genesis 5. See all scripture is profitable for instruction... those lists of names in Genesis have a message!
When the names are assembled in their birth order using the meanings of their names we find a message unfolding before us...just as it must have for those who witnessed this many generations so long ago. See they understood the meanings given to their names and they understood the power of the meanings of the name. First, let's look at the names and their meanings. The bold names are the teaching from El Shaddai Ministries and the italic meanings in the parenthesis are from Calvary Chapel's teaching.
ADAM = MANKIND (Man) (Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
- OT:120 'adam (aw-dawm'); from OT:119; ruddy i.e. a human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.):
SETH = APPOINTED TO (appointed)
- OT:7896 shiyth (sheeth); a primitive root; to place (in a very wide application):KJV appoint
ENOS = FEEBLE, FRAIL, MORTALITY (mortal or frail or miserable - inclurable as in a
wound) (#582 FROM #605)
- OT:582 'enowsh (en-oshe'); from OT:605; properly, a mortal (and thus differing from the more dignified OT:120); OT:605 'anash (aw-nash'); a primitive root; to be frail, feeble
CAINAN = A FIXED DWELLING PLACE (sorrow or dirge)
- OT:7064 qen (kane); contracted from OT:7077; a nest (as fixed)
MAHALALEEL = GOD WHO IS PRAISED (blessed or praise...the "el" means the name of God)
- OT:4111 Mahalal'el (mah-hal-al-ale'); from OT:4110 and OT:410; praise of God
JARED = COMES DOWN, DESCEND (shall come down)
- OT:3382 Yered (yeh'-red); from OT:3381; a descent;
ENOCH = TO INSTRUCT, TRAIN UP (teaching)
- OT:2596 chanak (khaw-nak'); a primitive root; properly, to narrow, figuratively, to initiate or discipline: KJV - dedicate, train up.
METHUSELAH = A MAN SENT FORTH (Muth=death, shelach=to bring or to send forth OR his death shall bring) (#4968 FROM #4962, #7973)
- OT:4968 Methuwshelach (meth-oo-sheh'-lakh); from OT:4962 and OT:7973; man of a dart; OT:7973 shelach (sheh'-lakh); from OT:7971; a missile of attack,
LAMECH = TO BE BEATEN, SMITTEN, AND TORTURED (lament - dispairing)
- OT:3929 Lemek (leh'-mek); from #4347 OT:4347 makkah, a blow, by implication, a wound; figuratively, carnage, also beaten, slaughter, smote, X sore, stripe, stroke, wound((-ed)).
- OT:5146 Noach (no'-akh); the same as OT:5118; rest OT:5118 nuwach (noo'-akh); or nowach (no'-akh); from OT:5117; quiet:
So now, let's look at the message here by putting the names together by their meanings from El Shaddai Ministries:
MANKIND / IS APPOINTED TO / A FEEBLE, FRAIL, MORTALITY / IN A FIXED DWELLING PLACE. / GOD WHO IS PRAISED / COMES DOWN / TO INSTRUCT / AS A MAN SENT FORTH / TO BE BEATEN, SMITTEN AND TORTURED / BRINGING REST, A QUIET PEACE.
Here is the list of meanings (from the teaching at Calvary Chapel) using the words above in the parenthesis that are italic:
Man / appointed / mortal / sorrow / the blessed God / shall come down / teaching / his death shall bring / dispairing / rest or comfort.
When was man appointed mortal sorrow? In the Garden, when man sinned.
The Blessed God shall come down. Who came down from heaven? Jesus.
What did Jesus do? Teaching. His death that would bring dispairing rest.
Here in Genesis 5 we have God's plan of redemption spelled out. How COOL is our God? He has given us ALL that we need for life and Godliness!
Either definition you use, you see a plan, a purpose, a word given to us for hope! God is so for us. He has spelled His plan out everywhere in the Word. Thank you Father for your great love for us! Jesus came to save us from our mortality!