In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:16

Thursday, November 11, 2010

You Gave Me Love - BJ Thomas

Years ago, and I mean, years ago I heard this song for the first time.  It was sung by the legendary (I call Christian) singer BJ Thomas.  I remember hearing about BJ Thomas first in the secular world but some of his first concert tours was with a Christian crusade as a singer. You too probably remember one of his more infamous songs Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head.  Being that he grew up in a Christian home it was easy for him to share his testimony after the great public notoriety that came from this song.

His personal testimony has been a life filled with ups-and-downs and I believe during those down times as he admittedly shared about his long struggle with drug and alcohol dependence is when he wrote some of his most inspirational music.  When I was a kid I would listen to some of these songs and they seemed to minister to me, deep in my soul.  He touched a place in my heart that was encouraged as he sang his songs from the places that he had been.  You knew they were from his own personal season of seeking the Lord and waiting on God to move his mountains.

To date he has sold more than 70 million records, earned 2 Platinum records, has had 11 Gold records, won 5 Grammy Awards, won 2 Dove Awards, has had 15 Top 40 Pop/Rock hits (in addition to the one mentioned above there is Eyes of a New York Woman, Hooked On A Feeling, Rock and Roll Lullaby and I Just Can't Help Believing), he has had 10 Top 40 Country Chart hits, he has become the 60th Member of the Grand Ole Opry in '81 and finally he has been the ONLY artist EVER to have the "Song of the Year" on the Pop, Country and Gospel charts!

If you ever need your soul ministered to, then I encourage you to listen to the songs below.  They have ministered to me so many times and I know they will comfort and inspire you as well.  Many times in my life I have found myself singing these lyrics to me...to build me up in my most holy faith.  I am thankful the BJ's willingness to write from his heart...I have been blessed by many of his songs.

I Need to Be Still - BJ Thomas...this song has ministered to me COUNTLESS times...be blessed by this!
You Gave Me Love - BJ Thomas...this is one of MY all-time favorites!