In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Matthew 5:16

Saturday, July 3, 2010

A Different Perspective


A friend (thanks MJ) for forwarding me this link, I Know What's Causing That.  Didn't take me long into the reading of it before I understood WHY she brought it to my attention.

I can relate to the questions and the judgements that come from having a larger than "normal" family.  I can relate but I,  like this writer am SO blessed by "arrows" and the joys they bring.  It is true that everyday life brings new challenges but then again, everyones life has challenges.  My life has to be lived from the prospective of eternity.  The day-to-day life can be a grind but when I fix my eyes on the "forever" factor and the destiny of my children and my children's children, the reward will be great.  My mother used to quote, "No one on their deathbed ever says they wish they had spent more time at the office."  (BTW - my mother was a mother to eight!)

I am a bit ahead on the road of life compared to the writer of the link regarding these "blessings" as my children are a bit older but the perspective HAS to be the same.  I could drown, just like Peter (Matthew 14:22-33, Mark 6:45-52 and John 6:16-21) and at times I feel the water washing OVER my feet when I look at the storm (the day-to-day) instead of the Master's face (eternity).  We are commanded to "fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith!" (Hebrews 12:2).  Life can and is overwhelming but whether you have one or six children doesn't change the factor that life is full of issues beyond ourselves.  We have to deal with "us" and "our" flesh, "our" desires, "our" wants.  Having more children has helped me to DEAL with me and my selfishness.  God knew what was best for me and I am so thankful for EACH of my blessings.  I look forward to ALL that is to come as they launch out into life with families of their own.

The scripture is clear that there is a link between the generations.  In Proverbs 17:6 (CEV) Grandparents are proud of their grandchildren, and children should be proud of their parents. My purpose is not enough to raise Godly children.  My legacy will be if I train my children to train THEIR children to be Godly.  There is the reward!